How can we introduce creative learning pedagogy to school teachers who are busy and responsible to meet demanding curriculum standards? Shinshu Makers Fellow program started with this question. Teaming up with the Nagano Prefectural Board of Education, FabLab Nagano, and Asobism in Japan, we designed a hybrid professional development program for public elementary and middle school teachers on creative coding, where they make, reflect, design, test, and iterate to explore ways to implement coding to support creative learning.
- Yumiko Murai – Simon Fraser University (Research & Design Lead)
- Hiroyuki Muramatsu – Shinshu University (Executive Director)
- Shingo Matsuzaka – Nagano Prefectural Board of Education (Executive Producer)
- Yoda Hiroshi – Asobism (Creative Director)
- Mitsuaki Ogura – Shinshu University (Assistant Director)
- Kazuki Miyazawa – Nagano Prefectural Board of Education (Supervisor)
- Masahiro Abe – Asobism (Assistant Creative Director)
- Daisuke Sonoda – Nagano Prefectural Board of Education (Supervisor)
- Takuya Miyashita – Nagano Prefectural Board of Education (Supervisor)
- Yumiko Morita – Simon Fraser University (Research Assistant)
- Hikaru Kasamatsu – Shinshu University (Research Assistant)
- Natsumi Gomi – Shinshu University (Research Assistant)
Papers & Presentations
Muramatsu, H., Murai, Y., Matsuzaka, S., & Yoda, H. (In press) Effectiveness of a long-term online teacher professional development on computer programming education (プログラミング教育における継続型のオンライン教員研修プログラムの研修効果). Journal of The Japan Society of Technology Education (JSTE). [Japanese]
Muramatsu, H., Murai, Y., Matsuzaka, S. & Yoda, T. (2021). Prefecture-wide online collaborative teacher professional development on computer programming education(オンラインにより県内広域で学び合うプログラミング教育研修事業). In Online Education SIG of Japan Society of Technology Education (JSTE) (Ed), Possibilities of online education in technology and information sciences education: Examples from elementary-, middle-, high-schools, universities, teacher professional development, and scholarly communities (オンラインで拓く技術・情報教育の可能性－小学校，中学校，高等学校，大学，教員研修，学会活動の取り組み) (pp. 182-187). The Japan Society of Technology Education (一般社団法人日本産業技術教育学会). [Japanese]
Murai, Y. & Muramatsu, H. (2020). Application of creative learning principles within blended teacher professional development on integration of computer programming education into elementary and middle school classrooms. Information and Learning Sciences, 121(7/8), 665-675.
Murai, Y. & Muramatsu, H. (2020). It’s not about programming, it’s about a way of learning: Evolution of teacher perspectives on computer programming education. In Proceedings of Connected Learning Summit, Cambridge, MA.
Murai, Y., Muramatsu, H., Gomi, N., & Katsuramoto, K. (2018). Programming education as creative learning: Challenges and opportunities. In Proceedings of the annual conference of Japan Society for STEM Education, Cambridge, MA. [Japanese]
- Nagano Prefectural Board of Education
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) KAKENHI Grant Number JP17H01978