What do students think that they learn in computing and making classrooms? And how can we make sure we have a system to capture, understand, and improve learning in those environments? This study explores and expands our understanding of how students and teachers consider learning in school-based maker environments through the co-designing processes of an assessment approach with middle school teachers and students in lower mainland B.C.
- Yumiko Murai – Simon Fraser University (PI)
- Kristiina Kumpulainen – Simon Fraser University (Co-PI)
- Crystal D. Smith – Simon Fraser University (Collaborator)
- Susan E. Crichton – University of British Columbia Okanagan (Collaborator)
- Annemiek Veldhuis – Simon Fraser University (Research Assistant)
- Zi (Anna) Lin – Simon Fraser University (Research Assistant)
Papers and Presentations
Veldhuis, A., Murai, Y., Zi, L., Kumpulainen, K., & Antel, A. N. (2023) Reimagining assessment for maker education in elementary education: Findings from a values-led co-design workshop with teachers. In Proceedings of Constructionism/FabLearn Conference 2023.
Smith, D. C.(2023) Visual embedded assessment: Fostering the development of critical dispositions in maker education. In Proceedings of Constructionism/FabLearn Conference 2023.
Insight Development Grant 2022 from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.